Music Librarian and Operations Assistant
DATE: November 17, 2017
JOB TITLE: Music Librarian and Operations Assistant
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
APPLICATIONS DUE: December 31, 2017
JOB TO BEGIN: Immediately upon offer, if available
This position is responsible for the duties of both Music Librarian and Operations Assistant. Music Librarian duties include the purchase, rental and preparation of scores and parts for all performances. Works with the Music Director in selecting performing editions and in marking bowing, cuts or other editing, then distributes parts to musicians. Maintains library of music holdings, records repertoire performance data, and assesses long-range acquisition needs. Operations Assistant duties include assistance during rehearsals and concerts regarding stage set up, soloist hospitality, concert PowerPoint presentations, etc.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with Music Director and Executive Director to draft programs for pops concerts. Assist Music Director with programming research as requested, and consult with Music Director regarding arrangements and editions.
- Research arrangements/editions and determine rental needs and prices.
- Prepare all music for distribution to musicians for each concert, including managing bowing timelines, marking cuts, fixing page turns/errata, and transferring bowings and markings among parts.
- Distribute music to players according to timeline stipulated in master agreement.
- Collect all music following concerts and return to library or publishers as appropriate.
- Curate the orchestra’s music library, cataloguing acquisitions, managing loan requests, and maintaining an orderly collection.
- Ensure proper licensing for all repertoire performed by the orchestra.
- Assist with rehearsal and concert duties as necessary, including soloist hospitality, PowerPoint presentations, stage set up, super titles, etc.
- Working with Director of Operations, develop and implement strategies for all facets of concert production, including stage lighting and sound, facility usage, stage plots, staging, and stagehand management for each performance and event of the season.
- Attend all rehearsals and concerts.
The Erie Philharmonic seeks an experienced, outgoing, creative and enthusiastic individual to oversee management of the music library and assist with operations.
- Two years of experience working with a professional orchestra
- Experience working as an orchestra librarian and working with a union orchestra
- Extensive classical musical knowledge
- Required to work beyond normal 9-5 hours
- Collaborative and positive attitude
- Obsessive attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to take initiative when needed
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by email (PDF or Word format) to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 31, 2017. Phone calls and physical mail submissions will not be considered. Please submit any inquiries by email to email@example.com. Review of resumes will begin immediately upon receipt. The Erie Philharmonic is an Equal Opportunity Employer.