Job Openings (1)
Erie Philharmonic Youth Orchestra Conductor
DATE: March 17, 2017
JOB TITLE: Erie Junior Philharmonic Music Director and Conductor
REPORTS TO: Executive Director, Erie Philharmonic, and Chair, Erie Junior Philharmonic Steering Committee
APPLICATIONS DUE: May 31, 2017
JOB TO BEGIN: January 1, 2018
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Erie Junior Philharmonic (EJP) is a youth orchestra program serving students of Erie, PA and the tri-state region. The EJP operates as a non-profit, educational outreach program of the Erie Philharmonic organization. The EJP was founded in 1955, and has been recognized as one of the oldest select youth orchestra programs in the country. Membership in the EJP is by audition only. In addition to the main orchestra, we offer intermediate and advanced level string, woodwind, and brass ensembles, a percussion ensemble, and a novice string program. Our current Music Director and Conductor, Mr. Robert Dolwick, will be retiring from the position once a suitable replacement has been employed.
Candidates for this position should possess formal training and practical experience in the art of conducting, along with extensive knowledge of orchestral literature, and experience working with student level orchestras.
- Serve as the EJP orchestra’s conductor, and provide leadership and exercise authority in all artistic matters including repertoire selection, auditions, rehearsals, performances, guest artists, competitions, and seating of players, in accordance with the EJP mission and artistic goals.
- Plan and implement the fall and spring weekly rehearsal and concert seasons, in accordance with the program budget prepared by the Chair and approved by the Steering Committee and Executive Director. Select appropriate musical repertoire, taking into consideration available instrumentation and skill levels. Oversee, coordinate and direct all auditions, and determine seating within each section. Conduct all orchestra rehearsals and performances.
- Attend EJP Steering Committee meetings, as a full participating and voting member of the committee, and also serve as a full participating and voting member of the EJP Executive Committee.
- Maintain a close, cooperative, and respectful working relationship with the Steering Committee Chair and the EJP Business Manager, and maintain an open line of communication with the EJP Parents’ Organization.
- Develop strategies and seize every opportunity to recruit new students for the orchestra and ensembles. Maintain regular contact and develop good rapport with schools, music educators, and private instructors throughout the region, from grade school to college level.
- Perform public relations and other duties as requested and in keeping with the position of the Music Director, to promote and heighten the visibility of the EJP to the media, the general public, area music students, community groups, and prospective donors. Represent the EJP with patience, dignity, and enthusiasm.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by email (PDF or Word format) to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2017.
Phone calls and physical mail submissions will not be considered.
Please submit any queries by email to email@example.com. Review of resumes will begin June 1, 2017. The Erie Philharmonic is an Equal Opportunity Employer.